Flo Ellson first established Seaview Guesthouse in a rented weatherboard building on Chapman Terrace, Kingscote, in 1924. With her brother Jack’s help, she built the new Seaview Guesthouse in 1929, out of the limestone rock upon which the town of Kingscote sits.
In 1947, her son Ivan, with his wife Mavis and sons Bernie, Barry, John and Peter moved to Kangaroo Island to take over the running of Seaview from Flo. In this time, Ivan built new furniture to replace the second hand pieces that Flo had used in the early days. The whole family pitched in to landscape the property. During this time, two more additions to the family were born, Malcolm and Carolyn.
In 1964 Ivan, Mavis and family, with a proud Flo looking on, opened Kangaroo Island’s first motel, on the site of the original weatherboard Seaview. Peter joined the business in 1966 as a partner, and in 1970 the family built another motel wing and upgraded many of the services.
In 1993 Peter and his wife Jeanene established Flo’s Bar, an interesting little spot near the dining room and lounge and decorated with memorabilia of Flo’s and of the early days of Kingscote.
Ivan and Peter have both retired while Malcolm, a younger brother, then enjoyed managing Seaview from 1996 before the business was finally leased outside the family.
Bobby and Tim took over the lease of Seaview in October 2003. They have continued updating Seaview with room refurbishments, added facilities and have made vast improvements to all areas of the property. In time the decision was made to close Seaview’s dining room, but with the extra time, energy and money Bobby and Tim found the outcome for guests was much better than expected.
The feeling of family is still strong at Seaview and we take great pride in keeping this tradition going. Stay a while and we hope to make you feel right at home with us!